Certain brokers and salespeople must take a new six-hour MCE course before renewing their licenses. Find out if you are one of them.
- Are you a broker who sponsors a salesperson?
- Are you a designated broker of a business entity?
- Are you a salesperson or broker who supervised at least one licensee for six months or more during the term of your current license?
If you answered yes to one of the previous questions, the Texas Real Estate Commission requires that you take the new six-hour broker-responsibility course in order to renew your license.
Here are a few Q&As to clarify the new requirement:
1. I was a designated supervisor, not a broker, and I supervised one agent for about six months (September 2011 through March 2012), but am no longer doing so. Do I have to take this course?
Yes. Per the requirements outlined above, you have supervised another licensee for at least six months during your current license’s term.
2. I am a broker who does not sponsor or supervise any salespeople. Do I have to take this course?
No. As long as you are not the designated broker of a business entity, you do not have to take this course because you don’t sponsor or supervise anyone.
3. I am the designated broker of a licensed LLC, and that license expires after Aug. 31, 2012. I do not sponsor any salespeople. Do I have to take this course?
Yes. Even though you do not sponsor any salespeople, you are required to take the course because you are a designated broker of a business entity.
4. I sponsor salespeople, but I have already completed the 15 hours required to renew my license. Do I still have to take this course?
Yes. Per the requirements outlined above, you are required to take the course because you sponsor salespeople.
5. I am a broker who is exempt from MCE requirements. Do I have to take this course?
No. You do not have to take the broker-responsibility course if you are exempt from the continuing education requirements per Section 1101.456 of The Real Estate License Act.
The six-hour broker-responsibility course may be used to satisfy 6 of the 15 hours in MCE that must be completed by the license expiration date of each license term to renew a license on active status. The following is a breakdown of the MCE hours that must be completed:
- 6 hour Broker Responsibility Course
- 3 hour Legal Update Course
- 3 hour TREC Ethics Course; and
- 3 hours in an approved MCE course(s)
(Course credit will not be given for attendance at the same course more than once during the term of the current license).
Click here to view upcoming Broker Responsibility Courses
On October 14th, HAR will hold a Broker Responsibility course geared secifically toward Commercial Brokers at the cental location. HAR has also arranged a policy and procedures manual course for the following day. Please contact the HAR education department for more details.