The Houston Association of REALTORS® Board of Directors has approved changes to the HAR Bylaws. These Bylaws changes, if approved, shall be effective January 1, 2015. Please note the underlined sections are proposed additions to the Bylaws while the crossed-out phrases are proposed deletions.
The Annual Member Meeting to act on these Bylaws changes will be held on December 15, 2014 in the HAR Board Room, 3693 Southwest Freeway. All members are invited to attend. If you are unable to attend, you may sign and return the proxy form to the HAR office by noon, December 10, 2014. The proxy grants the 2014 Chair the right to cast your vote in your absence.
ARTICLE XI Sec. 2.A.(5), 2.B. and (7) are amended to read, as follows:
ARTICLE XI—BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Section 1. AUTHORITY AND RESPONSIBILITY. The governing body of the Association shall be the Board of Directors (sometimes referred to as the “Board”). The Board of Directors shall have supervision, control and direction of the affairs of the Association, shall determine its policies and supervise the disbursements of its funds. The Board may adopt such rules and regulations for the conduct of its business as shall be deemed advisable, and may, in the execution of the powers granted, delegate certain of its authority and responsibility to the Executive Committee.
Section 2. COMPOSITION OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS AND DIRECTOR POSITION CATEGORIES
A. The Board of Directors shall be composed of certain Members in such numbers from the various Director Position categories as follows:
(1) LARGEST FIRMS – Two Directors who are REALTOR Members from Largest Firms (firms having 220 or more REALTOR Members);
(2) LARGE FIRMS – Two Directors who are REALTOR Members from Large Firms (firms having 25-219 REALTOR Members);
(3) MEDIUM FIRMS – Two Directors who are REALTOR Members from Medium Firms (firms having 5-24 REALTOR Members);
(4) SMALL FIRMS – Two Directors who are REALTOR Members from Small Firms (firms having 4 or fewer REALTOR Members).
(5) GEOGRAPHIC DISTRICTS – Six Geographic District Directors who are either REALTOR Members,
Life Members, Institute Affiliate Members or Affiliate Members, apportioned two Directors per Geographic District (North, South and Central) each having his or her office location in one of the following geographic areas:
(a) North District – Two Directors:
(i) Northeast – the area between IH–45 North, Loop 610 and IH–10 East
(ii) Northwest – the area between IH–45 North. Loop 610 and IH–10 West
(b) South District – Two Directors:
(i) Southeast – the area between IH–10 East, Loop 610 and SH 288 South
(ii) Southwest – the area between IH–10 West, Loop 610 and SH 288 South
(c) Central District – Two Directors – the area within Loop 610.
(6) COMMERCIAL MEMBERS – Two directors who are REALTOR Members primarily engaged in Commercial Real Estate;
(7) APPOINTMENT – Two Directors appointed by the Executive Committee at its August meeting each of whom shall be a Past President/Chairman;
(8) EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE – Members of the Executive Committee.
B. For the purpose of determining firm size, the number of REALTOR Members in a firm is that number reflected by the Association records on April 30 of each year. For the purpose of determining office location for a geographic area, it is the office address of the REALTOR Member, Institute Affiliate Member or Affiliate Member as reflected by the Association records on April 30 of each year.
Section 7. VACANCIES.
A. In the event a vacancy exists or is created on the Board of Directors, the Board of Directors shall appoint a Director to serve for the unexpired term.
B A. In the event a vacancy exists or is created on the Board of Directors, and there is no available remaining Director candidate(s) described in 5A. above, the Board of Directors shall appoint a Director to serve for the unexpired term.
C B. Any Director failing to attend any four regular meetings of the Board of Directors with or without excuse in any calendar year shall automatically be removed from the Board of Directors, and a vacancy shall exist for that position.
You may download the proxy form 2014_bylaw_proxy.