Right now, Texas lawmakers are considering a wide range of bipartisan HOA reforms, like Senate Bill 1588. This bill would ensure HOA operations are transparent and resident-friendly and provide an appropriate balance between private-property rights and agreed-upon community standards.
Here’s what the bill would do:
- Limits fees for resale certificates
- Creates a central database of Texas homeowners’ associations
- Requires HOAs to maintain a website with management certificates and meeting information and notification
- Protect property owners from negative credit reporting when a fine or fee is under dispute.
- Prevents some conflicts of interest within their governing boards
- Better due process in dispute resolution
- Protect owners’ and tenants’ private information by specifying HOAs may not require access to lease agreements.
Share your HOA story HERE.