On October 10-11, the 16th Annual Commercial Real Estate Super MCE Course was held at South Texas College of Law in Downtown Houston. Co-Sponsored with the Real Estate Center at Texas A&M University, the Commercial Real Estate Course provided attendees 17 MCE hours required by TREC as well as TREC-mandated legal and ethics courses. The course is also accredited by the State Bar of Texas for 14.5 MCLE hours, including 2.25 hours of legal ethics
The Commercial Super MCE, is a “must-attend” event for real estate brokers who practice in any segment of the real estate industry. The two-day course offered participants a wide variety of programs covering the status of the various commercial markets and the state of today’s economy.
In addition to TREC legal and ethics updates, Day 1 speakers and topics included:
- Houston’s Energy Economy – panel discussion with J. Patrick Duffy, Colliers International; Richard L. Burleson, Burleson, LLP; Richard Dyo, UHY LLP; Leslie Haines, Oil and Gas Investor; and Harold Hunt, Ph.D., Texas A&M Real Estate Center.
- Hot Topics in Environmental Law – Larry W. Nettles, Vinson & Elkins, LLP.
- How Oil Drives the Houston Economy and the Economy Drives Real Estate – Dr. Robert W. Gilmer, University of Houston.
- Re-inventing North Houston – panel discussion with Paul Layne, The Howard Hughes Corporation; Jerry Lowry, Greenspoint District; Keith Simon, Coventry Development Corporation; and Gil Staley, Economic Development Partnership of The Woodlands.
- Legislative Update – Rep. Jim Murphy, Texas House District 133.
Day 1 concluded with an after-hours reception for State Rep. Jim Murphy (R-Houston), sponsored by HAR Commercial Gateway. Brokers and lawyers were able to network, discuss business, the economy and public policy.
Day 2 topics and speakers included:
- New Development in Houston – panel discussion with Rusty Tamlyn, Holliday Fenoglio Fowler LP; Jonathan H. Brinsden, Midway Companies; Jeff Gray, Grayco Partners, LLC; Jay Kraft, Liberty Property Trust; and Mike Wyatt, Core Real Estate, LLC.
- Texas Demographics: 2014 and Beyond – Jack Steele, Houston-Galveston Area Council.
- Tech Talk for Real Estate – Sam Scott, HAR Commercial Gateway.
- Texas Economy in 2013, Dr. Mark G. Dotzour, Ph.D., Texas A&M University.