Almost a year’s worth of work and collaboration came to fruition on October 2, when Houston Mayor Annise Parker held a press conference to announce the free Houston Living mobile app, a revolutionary new app for iPhones and iPads. Mayor Parker was joined by HAR Chair-Elect Chaille Ralph who demonstrated the app’s features to the media gathered in the City Hall Rotunda.
“This is an example of public/private collaboration at its very best,” said Mayor Annise Parker. “More people are moving to Houston than any other city in the nation. They need quick and easy access to real estate resources as well as general information about the city. This app meets the needs of our new residents while being equally valuable to those who’ve called Houston home for some time.”
“It is exciting to know that the Houston Living app represents the first time a real estate association and municipality have engaged in this type of joint venture,” said Ralph.
By simply entering in a Houston address on your iPad or iPhone, the user has instant access to information about City of Houston government, local amenities, events, and more.
Important to the real estate industry, the app will link to HAR.com and real estate news important to property owners, and those who hope to be, in the City of Houston.
Houston Living is a free app that provides GPS location-based government information, including
- App users’ local elected official bios, websites and social media outlets;
- Nearby neighborhood organizations, associations or civic clubs to encourage homeowner civic involvement;
- Nearby real estate, including homes available for sale and market analysis of recent sales (via a link to HAR.com);
- Nearby city services and amenities, including public transportation options, parks and trails, public safety substations and library locations/hours;
- City news headlines and calendar of events;
- Social media communication from both the City of Houston and HAR.
In March, the National Association of REALTORS® awarded HAR with a $25,000 Game Changer Grant to underwrite expenses associated with the app’s development. HAR’s Governmental Affairs Department and Web Department worked together over the course of the year to refine and enhance the app’s features. The app’s development is part of HAR’s ongoing effort to demonstrate the vital role REALTORS® play in connecting homeowners, real estate consumers, and local elected officials to the community.
Houston Living is available for free download at the Apple App Store/iTunes. The Android version will be available in about six months.