The Houston Association of REALTORS® Board of Directors has approved changes to the HAR Bylaws. Please note the underlined sections are proposed additions to the Bylaws while the crossed-out phrases are proposed deletions.
The Annual Membership Meeting to act on these Bylaws changes will be held December 13, 2010 at 1 p.m. in the HAR Board Room, 3693 Southwest Freeway. All members are invited to attend. If you are unable to attend, you may sign and return the proxy form to the HAR office by noon, December 10, 2010. The proxy grants the 2010 Chair of the Board the right to cast your vote in your absence.
Section 1. There shall be the following classes of Members:
A. REALTOR® MEMBERS. REALTOR® Members, whether primary or secondary, shall be:
B. LIFE MEMBERS. Such individuals as have performed extraordinary community service and notable service for the Association, its institutes, societies, councils and/or committees, etc., have attained the age of 75 70, have been REALTOR® members for at least 35 25 consecutive years, is retired from the real estate brokerage profession, have written sponsorship from the Past Chairman Advisory Group following recommendation from three of its members, and have received at least 75% vote of the Board of Directors, shall become Life Members with full REALTOR® member privileges. Such Life Members shall pay all normal Association fees and expenses, however, subject to annual budget approval by the Board of Directors, Association dues shall be waived and the Association shall pay such Life member dues to TAR and NAR.
ARTICLE XI—BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Section 1. AUTHORITY AND RESPONSIBILITY. The governing body of the Association shall be the Board of Directors (sometimes referred to as the “Board”). The Board of Directors shall have supervision, control and direction of the affairs of the Association, shall determine its policies and supervise the disbursements of its funds. The Board may adopt such rules and regulations for the conduct of its business as shall be deemed advisable, and may, in the execution of the powers granted, delegate certain of its authority and responsibility to the Executive Committee.
Section 2. COMPOSITION OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS AND DIRECTOR POSITION CATEGORIES
A. The Board of Directors shall be composed of certain Members in such numbers from the various Director Position categories as follows:
(1) LARGEST FIRMS – Two Directors who are REALTOR® Members from Largest Firms (firms having 225 or more REALTOR® Members);
(2) LARGE FIRMS – Two Directors who are REALTOR® Members from Large Firms (firms having 36-224 REALTOR Members);
(3) MEDIUM FIRMS – Two Directors who are REALTOR Members from Medium Firms (firms having 6-35 REALTOR Members);
(4) SMALL FIRMS – Two Directors who are REALTOR Members from Small Firms (firms having 5 or fewer REALTOR Members).
(5) GEOGRAPHIC DISTRICTS – Four at-large Geographic District Directors who are either REALTOR Members, Life Members, Institute Affiliate Members or Affiliate Members, apportioned one Director per Geographic District each having his or her office location in one of the following geographic areas:
(a) Northeast District – the area between IH–45 North and IH-10 East
(b) Northwest District – the area between IH–45 North and IH-10 West
(c) Southeast District – the area between IH–10 East and IH-45 South to 59 South to SH 288 South
(d) Southwest District – the area between IH–10 West and IH-45 South to 59 South to SH 288 South
(6) COMMERCIAL MEMBERS – Two directors who are REALTOR Members primarily engaged in Commercial Real Estate;
(7) AT LARGE MEMBERS FRANCHISE FIRMS – Two Directors who are either REALTOR Members, Life Members, Institute Affiliate Members or Affiliate Members from Franchise Firms that are members of a national or regional franchise;
Section 3. ELECTION OF DIRECTORS.
A. On or before May 10 each year, Members shall be notified of the annual election of Directors and the opportunity to seek election for a Director position for which he or she is eligible. A member who desires to seek election for a Director position shall notify the Association in writing or electronically via the internet on the HAR Board of Directors Candidacy Notification Form of the Director position category for which he or she seeks election, which form shall be signed by the candidate’s Designated REALTOR accompanied by his or her resume. Such notice must be received by Association on or before 5:00 p.m. on the second Monday in June. Each Candidate must complete a Candidate Qualification Form.