Do you feel out of the loop of technology? You may not be alone. Here are the top five signs you are out of touch with technology.
- You have an AOL account and you use it for business. Same applies to Yahoo and Hotmail. Time to stop using these e-mail services (which can be perceived as unprofessional) and convert over to a business e-mail like firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can even have your old e-mail forward to your new e-mail so you aren’t missing anyone. Not sure how to do that? Ask the most techie person you know or your information technology guru at your brokerage, who will point you in the right direction.
- You are still calling the Internet the “information superhighway” or the “World Wide Web.” In addition, you are still saying things like “surf the Web” or “look something up on the ‘Net.'” Nowadays, people “go online” or “Google it.”
- You have a desktop computer and not a laptop. The need for real estate agents to be portable and mobile is greater than ever! More and more people are dumping their desktops altogether and using a laptop as their primary computer.
- You have a flip phone and not a smart phone. Time to upgrade. I really believe that all real estate agents need a smart phone. Your clients expect you to return e-mails faster than ever and be more accessible than ever, and a smart phone can do just that.
My favorite is the iPhone, but there are so many options. Call your carrier and see what your options are to upgrade. Remember, everything is negotiable!
- You say things like, “I have to get on THE Facebook” or “on THE Twitter.” You can say, “I need to set up a Facebook page” or “Facebook account,” or “get started with Twitter” or “start tweeting.”
If you see yourself smiling and nodding and agreeing to any of the above, you are not alone!
Reprinted with permission from Inman News.